Learning to Follow (Christ) – Learning to Lead (the Church)
WTS now makes a minimum eight year commitment to walk with incoming students. The first few of those years happen in direct connection with the academic degree programs of WTS via in-residence or distance learning. During the final five years support happens through the WTS Journey Center for Learning in conjunction with the academic and formation offices. The purpose of the Learning to Follow… Learning to Lead… commitment is to prepare and support healthy leaders for the church and the world. That includes doing what we can to equip leaders for ministry and to empower them to sustain life in ministry One of the opportunities provided to recent graduates is the Transition into Ministry (T.I.M.) Summit, to which graduates from the previous 5 years are invited.
As the result of research with recent WTS graduates and evaluations from previous T.I.M. participants, we are constructing a five year plan for the summit, which we hope will equip and empower leaders as they move through the first years of ministry. Each year will focus in an area where alumni have expressly indicated they need more learning and support. These areas will include such foci as
· organizational leadership
The purposes of the summit are multiple. Our hope is that you will:
* Reconnect with people you love.
* Receive and offer encouragement and empathy with people you already know and trust (friends, faculty, staff).
* Rest, refresh, assess, and worship.
* Regain healthy perspective on your current context by stepping out of it for a time.
* Revisit learning that has become more pertinent now that you need it.
* Re-enter your context with practical helps and greater self-awareness.
The next conference will be Spring 2015.